Have you ever had a strange dream? Not the scary kind, the kind that’s just plain weird?
We have! Sometimes our dreams are just dreams, but sometimes they have a meaning from God. Did you know that? It’s true, God can speak to us in our dreams. This week, we’re going to be learning about someone who had some strange dreams AND the gift from God to know what they meant!
Let’s take a minute to ask God to help us have open hearts and minds to hear Him and learn what He wants us to know.
God, thanks so much for speaking to us through so many different ways. Help us to have open hearts to learn and take in what you want as we study your Word.
TO OUR PARENTS: There are two videos today. The first covers the early portion of Joseph’s life, and the second covers a little more of his story. (We’ll be watching one final video next week!)
- What were Joseph’s dreams about when he was at home?
- How did Joseph get to Egypt?
- Why was he in jail?
- How did he get out of jail?
- How do you think Joseph felt about all those bad things happening to him?
- Was God with Joseph? (Hint: Look up Genesis 39:2, Genesis 39:21, and Genesis 39:23)
EGC KIDS TIP: The story of Joseph is found in Genesis 37 & 39-48 and is one of the most detailed stories of one person’s life in the book of Genesis! It contains some intense situations, so you may want to read ahead before you read it out loud with your kids. It’s a wonderful story, though, so don’t let that deter you. We are going to be spending two weeks on Joseph’s story, so don’t read too far ahead! 🙂 Today’s lesson covers his early life through his first years in Egypt (before the famine).
Even in the really hard times that Joseph had, God was with Him and strengthened Him. God spoke some really neat things to Joseph in his dreams, but it didn’t seem like they were happening! God gave him what he needed to be okay in his heart in those situations. God wants to give us everything we need in the hard times that we go through in life too!
- What is a hard thing that you are going through in your life?
- How is God helping you?
- Has God spoken to you about something in your future? What is it?
- Remember, He is going to help and take care of you. It might not happen the way you imagine, but remember last week’s verse? We learned in Philippians 4:6-7 that we don’t have to be anxious because He is in control!
- Draw a picture or cut out pictures from a magazine to tell about a funny or interesting dream you had.
- Make up an interesting meaning for your dream. For example, if you drew a car with a lamb driving up a hill of lettuce, you might think “Eat more veggies, kid!” or “Whoa, not so much salad tomorrow night!”
- Draw a second picture or poster of something that God has said to you (or draw a picture of you doing what you think He wants you to be when you grow up). Hang it up on your fridge or wall to look at this week!
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.Isaiah 41:10 (NIV)
This week we have another song to help us memorize our verse! Check out the video below and practice it throughout the week!
EGC KIDS TIP: To learn the verse, make up your own actions for the words “fear/dismayed,” “strengthen,” “uphold” (hint, think “hold you up”). Say or sing the verse (using the actions) to your pet, houseplant, stuffed animal, or younger sibling 10 times this week.
During a meal this week, take turns speaking the Remember Verse over each member of the family, like a message from God to them!