Today’s lesson is based on Genesis 1 & 2
Let’s Do! (PART 1): What Can YOU Create?
- First, raid your recycling bin or find some leftover craft supplies at your house! Some ideas are: popsicle sticks, old soda bottles or tin cans, empty cardboard boxes, etc.
- Once you’ve gathered a pile of supplies, let each of your children sift through and choose the items they would like to use to make something! (parents, you can join in on this too and make your own creation)
- What should they make? Anything they want! Encourage them to be as creative as they can!
- Once they’ve made their masterpiece have everyone show off what they made.
**Before you start, make sure you have a mirror and a dry erase marker nearby.
- What is your favorite thing that God created? Is it the prickly porcupine? A giant elephant? Juicy oranges? Trees that you can climb in? The salty ocean?
- Of all the things that God created, one was extra special. Do you know what that was? People!
- Why were people extra special? People are created in God’s image.
- Hold up a mirror, or go stand in front of a mirror in your house and then ask: When you look in this mirror, what do you see? Myself!
- That’s right! But God designed you so that not only would people see YOU when they look at you, they’d see HIM too! What are some ways that we show other people what God is like? Our creativity, our kindness, when we love others or help others. . .
- But, when Adam and Eve sinned, and chose what they wanted to do, here’s what happened. (draw on the mirror with a dry erase marker, obscuring the image). Our sin makes it so that we don’t reflect God’s image anymore. It separates us from God – just like it did for Adam and Eve. Not only that, but sin made it so that things like pain and sickness entered the world. People started feeling guilty and ashamed, especially around God because he’s so good and Holy!
- But God had a plan to send a redeemer – a rescuer. Do you know who that was? Jesus!
- That’s right! Jesus! Jesus came to take our sin and make us new again. Just like this: (erase the marker smudges from the mirror).
From the EGC Kids Team: From the beginning, God had a plan to make things right! For the next few months, we’re going to be talking about what we call the BIG GOD STORY: the story that God has been writing from the very beginning. This week we’re at the VERY beginning of his story: creation. But something that you’ll find out is that no matter what story we look at or where in the Bible it is, it all points to Jesus and God’s plan to redeem his people: to set them free from their sin and restore their relationship with God, so that they could reflect His image to the world!!
- When Adam and Eve sinned, they knew they had done something wrong and did what? Hid from God.
- When we do something wrong, sometimes it makes us feel guilty or ashamed. Sometimes we’re scared about what would happen if someone found out. Sometimes we lie to try and cover it up like Adam and Eve tried to cover up in the garden. And sin can make us feel really yucky inside. But, God doesn’t want us to hide from Him. He wants us to come to him. He wants to forgive us and set us free from those things!
- Today, we’re going to spend some time talking with God. What has been hard for you lately? What things do you need Jesus’ help with? Maybe you need to ask Jesus to forgive you from sin. Maybe you know he’s forgiven you but you still feel guilty about something or ashamed of something. Maybe there’s something that you’ve been really worried about.
- Take some time right now and talk to God about those things! Remember, he loves you and he wants you to be free.
Parents/Guardians, end your prayer time by praying the following blessing over your child(ren):